Friday, December 30, 2011

When the manual doesn't cover it...

I'm trying to replace the rear wheel bearings while I have the access to them, but unfortunately, the Haynes manual only covers front wheel bearing replacement. Looking at the rear assembly unit, I was not sure what needed to be pulled/screwed off and where. Googling on this topic returned many results, below are the 2 resources I found most helpful.
  1. http://www.mikeross-dds.com/rrbrng.html - only site I found with step-by-step pictures and instructions
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCd8kYI3HyY (video below) - good guide on how to remove and install the drive fland and stud assembly


Now that I understand what needs to be removed, I tried using the rear drum as a solid plate to pull the drive flange off - loosening the center nut and putting the wheel nuts back on. (The video warns against using a jaw puller directly on the flange since the plate could bend.) After many many attempts and methods, the flange still will not come off. I even built a wooden mount for the rear assembly unit so it does not roll around and I can apply full torque, but now the threads of the jaw puller have started breaking off.

Wooden mount for rear assembly

Damaged threads on the jaw puller


Not sure what I'll do next but I think it'll involve buying or making a hub puller.

No comments: