Saturday, December 17, 2011

Random post about staying clean

While I'm on a blogging roll, this is a random post about disposable gloves that I had recently purchased...


After sessions of working on the car, I could never clean my hands completely to get rid of the grease that found it's way around my finger nails and would always find later in a more public setting, an area of grease that I had missed while washing up. I always sort of dealt with this as something that happens when working on cars until I started watching this British show available on youtube.com called "Wheeler Dealers". (The premise of the show is that they flip/restore old cars for a profit.) On the show the mechanic, Edd, used orange disposable gloves when working on the car and thereby keeps his hands clean.

Doing a google search for mechanic disposable gloves, there are nitrile gloves that rip less easily than latex that can be used to keep your hands clean during tougher jobs. I ended up buying a box to try them out and so far, I'm really satisfied with these gloves. I re-used my first pair 3 times while scrubbing and cleaning parts and only threw them out after the thumb got snagged and the hole eventually grew too big to keep the grease out. In the closeup below, the fingertips are textured, so you can still get good grip to pick up small things like screws.

In summary:
  • Disposable gloves - worth the cost to keep hands clean.
  • "Wheeler Dealers" - worth watching if you ever need some motivation to go work on your car.

1 comment:

tdodge said...

Perhaps the most surprising thing in this blog is that it took you 3 years to discover disposable gloves haha. But yeah Wheeler Dealers is good! I don't think they've taken on anything as tough as this Spitfire though.