Sunday, January 8, 2012

Researching for restoration

This weekend I didn't physically work on the car, but spent time researching next steps for the hub puller and then this lead to researching for a swing spring axle. I was considering to check with AutoZone if they had a universal hub puller in their loan-a-tool program, but after reading some online forums, I found that even this tool was not always successful when using to pull on a Triumph hub.

It seems that the best solution is to use a hub puller, similar to the one for sale by Canley Classics, a UK-based British car tools/parts supplier. Unfortunately the cost for this tool is $101 and to make matters worse, this tool is so specific, it does not even fit on all Triumph cars, like TR's. On a positive note, the tool is CNC from one piece of metal so it does appear to be good quality (no welds that could break).


While I was on this page, I remember that I had once considered using Canley Classics to buy a swing spring axle kit. This was something that I read on the forums to help with handling and keep the rear wheels from caving in when cornering. So if I buy the hub puller, I would get the swing spring axle kit at the same time.

I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't rig my way out of this one with a tool I made myself, but after seeing how tight the hub is on by how it damaged the jaw puller, I think I may call myself defeated.

No comments: