To install the new piston rings we had purchased, we had to undo the bolts that attached the connecting rods to the crankshaft. Nothing too difficult here... just elbow grease which Chris is providing. I was on picture duty for any times where my help was not needed.
The picture below shows the 4 pistons and connecting rods that we had removed. There is masking tape on the connecting rods to indicate which cylinder the pistons came from (1 = towards the front of the car and 4 = piston nearest the transmission). It turns out we did not need to do this in the end, because if you look carefully on the connecting rods there are cylinder numbers hand-etched into the metal, using the same numbering that we had applied above (1 through 4).