Wednesday, April 25, 2012

So much easier the second time around

I'm happy to say that a task that had taken me 2+ weeks the first time around only took 30 minutes the second time. Progress was halted for 2 weeks the first time I tried to figure out how to remove a brake drum with a stuck brake drum screw. After going through the pains the first time, I realized the best way was to grind out the flared screw head using a Dremel. This would also etch the brake drum, but as I would be replacing the brake drum anyways, this was fine.

The screw holding the brake drums in place is actually a pretty soft metal. So after grinding most of the flared screw end out, pulling out the brake drum with the puller did the rest. All that was left to do afterwards was to use vice grips to remove the rest of the screw.

Caption: Using vice grips to remove the remaining screw end

No comments: