Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Before and after rear assembly

To finish up the rear assembly, I punched out the old axle hub bearing seal (action picture on left) and replaced it with a new seal. I need to better organize the parts I order as I had to dig through old invoices and search around the house for the seal kit as I thought I bought it... then thought I might not have... and then realized I actually purchased the kit and had misplaced a whole set of parts ordered from Victoria British. Right now, there are car parts old and new throughout the basement, garage, and even parts of the living areas - keeping track of all this is getting to be difficult.

The new seal (picture of new seal and old seal is to the right) was easy to install and could easily be pushed in. Most of the remaining rear assembly components were easy to install except for when it came to wedging the radius arm into the vertical link. After the poly bushing is installed in the radius arm, there is hardly enough space to get it in position on the vertical link. Chris ended up taking a piece of wood to pry enough space in the vertical link arm hinge to get the radius arm in place. After that, we had to coax the bolt through the radius arm end since it was a tight fit and finally got through what would be the most difficult part of the night.

Then after getting everything in place, I realized I forgot to put a washer on the bolt that sits behind a vertical link/radius arm joint. (ugh) So we pried out the bolt then the radius arm and undid the bolt to install the washer. Reattaching the radius arm was much easier the second time around and now we are finally done with one of the rear assemblies.

Below shows the restored assembly with the brake drum absent (on left) with the unrestored assembly (on right).

1 comment:

amy said...

I realized that the pictures do not adequately show the vertical link and radius arm attachment I mention in this post...sorry...will try to post more later.