Sunday, July 1, 2012

Ready for sandblasting and powdercoating

Back in spring, I had found and emailed a powdercoating company nearby about powdercoating the Triumph chassis.  Jeff at Central MASS Powder Coating in Clinton, MA emailed me back right away saying they could sandblast and powdercoat for ~$750.  The chassis just needed to be fully disassembled and basically degreased before I drop it off.  The shop would then sandblast, bake it out, mask all threads, and powdercoated with zink epoxy primer and then powdercoated with polyester taking about 1 week to do all this.  

Then work became busy again and summer weekends started to fill up, so I did not get a chance to ready the chassis for sandblasting and powdercoating until this weekend.  Despite the 90s temperature, the garage was bearable.  Chris helped to pull out the differential which came out pretty smoothly.  We used a jack to help support differential as the supporting bolts were removed and then a pry bar to dislodge the differential from the back mounts.




As for cleaning the chassis, I degreased years of dried, caked on grease with a can of degreaser, roll of paper towels, Q-tips (for those hard to reach places), and wire brushes.  I had started a bit of this previously but today I spent about 3 hours getting everything scrubbed. At the end of all this, I was covered from head to toe with grease bits that looked like freckles on my skin and had a mess of paper towels, Q-tips, and grease bits on the plastic tarp I lined the garage floor with before starting. 


Cleaning the chassis = the messiest I've been since this project started...

This used to be covered in grease...





1 comment:

Steve said...

Wow! Awesome to see you taking it all the way down to the frame.