Thursday, July 31, 2008

Money issue #1

Moving the car from its current location in Boston, Masschusetts to 40 miles west in the suburbs. For this I had estimated $100 - $150. Boy was I wrong.

My initial plan was to rent a Auto Transport from U-Haul, but given that I currently drive a 1999 Camry, U-Haul would not let me tow an Auto Transport with my Camry. So then I thought to rent a U-Haul pick-up truck with the Auto Transport, but their pick-up trucks are not set up to hitch to the Auto Tranport. I would have to rent a 10’ truck to tow the Auto Tranport. This priced me at $188, as long as I stayed within the 30 mile distance. For each mile over, it would be another $.50, plus I also had to cover gas. Awesome, not.

My next option was to use a towing service, but after calling and emailing a few places, I was priced from “eh, about $200” to $250. Hmm…

Luckily, my boyfriend was able to borrow a co-worker’s SUV that I can hitch an Auto Transport to, which U-Haul priced me at $49.95. So hopefully, by this Saturday I’ll have a 1968 Triumph Spitfire sitting in the driveway.

No comments: