Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Too short, back to the store

I found this youtube video a while back while looking into how to remove the hub. It shows a quick and easy way to remove the rear axle bearing. The Haynes manual says to push the axle hub down the axle to get to the bearing, but with no further instructions than that. The video shows a cheap way to remove the bolts using threaded rods.

Using the same idea from the video above, I purchased some nuts and bolts to try and achieve similar results. Unfortunately, the bolts I purchased were too short. I was able to push the axle hub back, but the bolts were not long enough to fully expose the bearing. I ended making a second trip to the hardware store to get longer bolts to finish what I started. Re-watching the video again, I should have bought threaded rods.

My ineffective setup: (threaded rods that fit through the flange holes would have been better)

No comments: