Monday, April 26, 2010

Cheater Bar


I understand Physics, but why I did not think to apply it to working on the car and make things easier has me kicking myself. The cheater bar is my best new car tool that consists of whatever random pipe I can find around the house. Using a standard socket wrench, I simply slide my cheater bar over the wrench handle and with the extra leverage I have been able to get off quite a few stubborn bolts. I have used an old piece of metal tubing from furniture and the pole from a patio umbrella as a cheater bar and have been successful in removing stubborn bolts from the front and rear suspension.

There are limitations with the cheater bar depending on where a bolt is located and whether there is enough space for the cheater bar, but for the most part, this tool has proven itself worthy of car dismantling. Stubborn bolts had been a discouraging part of the restoration process, so it's nice to finally remove bolts rather quickly now.

April has been a productive month with working on the Triumph. With the cheater bar and some help from Chris for the non-cheater bar capable bolts, the front suspension arms have been completely removed and most of the rear suspension as well. The car restoration is progressing closer to being completely dismantled with only the engine, transmission, drive train, and passenger side of the rear suspension remaining.

No comments: