Monday, August 24, 2009

A New Approach to Rusted Bolts?


This weekend I finished the side supports for the body rig. The side supports are rectangular structures about 2 ft high and 6ft long. I initially planned to only have a middle support beam but upon finishing the structure, the supports were a bit wobbly and so I added cross beams to make it structurally sound. I've seen shops balance car bodies on upside down 5 gallon buckets so this wooden body rig should definitely hold up the car body.

I didn't work on the car this weekend, but got a really good tip from a friend of a friend who used to work in an auto restoration shop. After telling him my issues with rusted bolts, he suggested that I either 1) just cut off the bolts or 2) use a MAPP gas torch. For the MAPP gas torch, what they would do in the shop was heat the rusted bolt with the torch and then take a thick wet towel and place it directly on the bolt to cool it off. They would repeat this extreme heating and cooling process twice and the stressing of the metal should break the rust.

I did a little more research online and a MAPP gas torch (versus propane) is used because it burns at a higher temperature. MAPP gas torches are apparently available in any Lowe's and Home Depot, and while I'm at it, I should probably pick up a fire extinguisher.

No comments: