Friday, May 22, 2009

Finally...


Victory!...the steering wheel has come off. So I finally gave in to the fact that maybe the steering wheel doesn't feel like coming off the steering column and have taken the approach of removing the steering wheel with the steering column together. (I need to post a picture of my steering wheel triumph.)

To remove the steering wheel column I had to disconnect the wires for the turn signal and horn, which turned out to be a considerable number of wires. Then I unscrewed the bolts attaching the column to the axle (the Haynes manual was very useful on instructing how to do this) and then unscrewed the bolts holding the steering column mount under the dash. This was way easier than trying to pull off the steering wheel.

The windshield still will not budge from it's passenger side mount. I picked up a bolt loosening product at Lowe's, that claims to be able to eat through a styrofoam cup, and applied it the windshield mount but it still refuses to budge. With the steering column, this is the major roadblock to removing the body.

The wiring that remains to be removed are the wiring that goes to parts of the engine. I want to make sure I get this right, so I'll need to take some time documenting and taking pictures, which I haven't felt like doing just yet. I'm still worn out from all the wiring labeling/documenting I have done so far. Maybe I'll work on this this weekend.

To do before attempting to remove the body:
- remove windshield
- remove remaining wiring
- doors (?)
- build body rig to store body

No comments: